EN 50508:2009 – Multi-purpose insulating sticks for electrical operations on high voltage installations
This European Standard specifies the requirements and tests to be fulfilled by the multipurpose insulating sticks intended to perform a range of operations in high voltage installations by means of the attached appropriate tools, for example:
• connection and disconnection of disconnectors or other equipment operated by the stick,
• fuse replacement with an attached tool,operations like:
• voltage absence verification, using a detector as a separate device in accordance with EN 61243-1;
• earthing and short circuiting installations, using devices in accordance with EN 61230;
• placing insulating screens in order to provide protection against adjacent live parts;
• testing and measurement;
• any other operation or verification on the electrical installation, provided that the mechanical requirements do not exceed those assured by the stick design and the worker shall remain at a safety distance;
• rescue of accident victims.
This European Standard is applicable to the insulating sticks made of a single continuous tube or rod or multiple tube or rod sections connected to each other, to be used both indoors or outdoors on electrical systems for voltages of 1 kV to 765 kV a.c., frequencies of 50 Hz and/or 60 Hz and in the normal range of temperatures of -25 ºC to +55 ºC and at a relative humidity between 20 % and 93 %.
For the purpose of this standard, “tube” is used for “tube” and “rod”.
Annex B includes considerations about the use under wet conditions.
NOTE It is a general practice to use an insulating stick on d.c. installations with the same value of nominal voltage. That use shall comply with the national regulations.
This European Standard is not applicable to
• sticks covered by EN 60832,
• telescopic sticks covered by EN 62193,
• sticks with mobile internal or external operating rods, as those used directly for fuse replacement,
• single purpose sticks, especially designed to cover a single operation, generally as a complete
equipment such as voltage detectors covered by EN 61243-1.
NOTE Except where otherwise specified, all the voltages defined in this European Standard refer to values of phase-to-phase voltages of three-phase systems. In other systems, the applicable phase-to-phase or phase-to-earth (ground) voltages should be used to determine the operating voltage.EN 50508:2009 – Multi-purpose insulating sticks for electrical operations on high voltage installations